Last updated May 20th, 2013.
This is a brief summary of the revised terms of the Play! Pokémon Scholarship Program. A more detailed description is contained in the Terms and Conditions of the Program. This program may be modified from time to time; provided, however, that any future modifications will not revoke or reduce any scholarships already awarded before the modification dates. If you have any questions or concerns that aren’t addressed below, please feel free to contact us.
How do I earn a scholarship from The Pokémon Company International?
The Pokémon Company International awards scholarships to the top finishers at the Pokémon TCG U.S. National Championships and the Pokémon World Championships.
What does the scholarship pay for?
The scholarship may be applied to the tuition, books, fees, supplies, and equipment required for courses of instruction at a qualified educational institution attended by the winner or the winner’s permitted transferee.
Which schools count as qualified educational institutions?
Elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, colleges, community colleges, universities, graduate schools, and some technical schools and trade schools (or country equivalent) anywhere in the world at which the winner or his or her permitted transferee is a candidate for a degree. A qualified educational institution is one determined by The Pokémon Company International, at its sole discretion, to be qualified; for perspective and without limiting Pokémon’s discretion, Pokémon generally will consider any such school that normally maintains a regular faculty and curriculum, that normally has a regularly enrolled body of pupils or students in attendance at the place where its educational activities are regularly carried on, and that is accredited by a nationally recognized accreditation agency to be a “qualified educational institution” under the Play! Pokémon Scholarship Program. The Pokémon Company International shall determine at its sole discretion whether or not a school is qualified for purposes of the Play! Pokémon Scholarship Program.
What are the minimum and maximum scholarships that Pokémon awards?
Pokémon will determine the amount of any scholarships on an event-by-event basis, so the minimum and maximum amounts may vary by event.
How much time do I have to use my scholarship? Does it expire?
Your scholarship is available until the later of two dates: (I) your 28th birthday or (II) ten (10) years from the date the scholarship is granted (that is, the date that you win the TCG event in which the scholarship is granted). If you do not use all of your scholarship by the later of either (I) your 28th birthday or (II) the tenth anniversary of the date of grant, then Pokémon will donate the money to a charity of our choosing, such as a qualified educational institution. Any such donation will be made in the name of The Pokémon Company International, and not in the name of the scholarship recipient.
Can the scholarship money be forfeited?
If we are unable to locate you to distribute all or part of your scholarship by the later of your 28th birthday or ten years from the date the scholarship is granted (that is, the date that you win the TCG event in which the scholarship is granted), or if you or your transferee does not supply information to Pokémon as required by the Program, then Pokémon will donate the undistributed money to a charity of our choosing, such as a qualified educational institution. Also, the undistributed portion of your scholarship terminates if you die on or before the later of your 28th birthday or the tenth anniversary of the date the scholarship is granted, in which event Pokémon will donate the undistributed money to a qualified educational institution or charity of our choosing. Any such donation will be made in the name of The Pokémon Company International, and not in the name of the scholarship recipient.
Can I transfer my scholarship?
Yes. You can transfer all, but not less than all, of your award to any person you choose, so long as that person agrees to follow the terms of the Program.
Can my transferee further transfer the scholarship?
No. Only the winner can transfer the scholarship, and the winner can make only one transfer of all, but not less than all, of the award.
How do I transfer my scholarship?
Before your scholarship expires, you (or, if you are under the age of legal majority, your parent or legal guardian) must provide to us in writing transfer instructions, including the name and contact information of the person to whom you are transferring your scholarship, on the form we provide. Furthermore, to receive the scholarship, the transferee (or, if the transferee is under the age of legal majority, his or her parent or legal guardian) must complete a certificate agreeing to abide by the terms of the Pokémon Scholarship Program, consenting to the release of the transferee’s personal information to third parties in connection with the scholarship, certifying that the transferee has been admitted to a qualified educational institution and is a candidate for a degree, and agreeing to provide such other information and documentation as we reasonably require. The transferee must also provide Pokémon with a release from certain liability. We recommend that you discuss the possible tax consequences of transferring your scholarship with your tax adviser.
When can I transfer my scholarship?
Any time before the scholarship expires as noted above, and before you ask us to apply any portion of the scholarship for your own use.
If I transfer my scholarship, how much time does my transferee have to use my scholarship? Does it expire?
Whether or not you have transferred the scholarship, it expires on the same date as described above. That is, even if you transfer the scholarship, it expires on the later of your 28th birthday or the tenth anniversary of the date the scholarship is granted.
Do I need to contact you to receive my scholarship?
Yes. To receive your scholarship, you (or, if you are under the age of legal majority, your parent or legal guardian) must complete a certificate
- Agreeing to abide by the terms of the Pokémon Scholarship Program;
- Certifying that
- You intend to use the funds for qualified educational expenses at a qualified educational institution,
- You have been admitted to a qualified educational institution, and
- You are a candidate for a degree;
- Consenting to the release of your personal information to third parties in connection with the scholarship; and
- Agreeing to provide such other information and documentation as we reasonably require.
In addition, you must sign a document releasing Pokémon and related parties from liability and allowing Pokémon to use your likeness and deck composition in advertising, products, and promotions.
Must I or my transferee tell Pokémon if we change our address or contact information?
Yes. You are responsible for keeping Pokémon informed of any change to your address or contact information. All communications with Pokémon must be in writing, and you must receive a confirmation in writing back from Pokémon, confirming any changes to your contact information.
Do I earn interest on my scholarship money until I use it?
No. The face value of the scholarship you win is the full amount of the money you will be paid. No interest will be paid on this money to the scholarship recipient.
Where do you send the scholarship money?
Scholarship money is paid directly to you.
How do I get a qualified expense paid?
At least 45 days prior to the date you or your transferee would like all or a portion of the scholarship funds to be paid, you must notify the Scholarship Administrator at The Pokémon Company International in writing. The written documentation must include:
- A certificate from you (or, if you are under the age of legal majority, from your parent or legal guardian), certifying that you have been admitted to the named qualified educational institution and are a candidate for a degree, and that you will use the funds for qualified expenses at such qualified educational institution;
- The name, address, and telephone number of the qualified educational institution;
- Your consent (or, you are under the age of legal majority, the consent of your parent or legal guardian) to allow Pokémon or its authorized representative to contact the qualified educational institution to discuss your enrollment in the institution and to confirm your candidacy for a degree;
- Your consent (or, if you are under the age of legal majority, the consent of your parent or legal guardian) to provide personal information (such as your phone number, email address, and mailing address) to third parties who may assist Pokémon in the administration of your scholarship;
- The amount of the scholarship that you would like to receive at that time;
- Your Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number;
- Such information as we are required to request in order to comply with any tax withholding or other laws;
- Proof of enrollment at the qualified educational institution in a form acceptable to Pokémon (such as a transcript or letter of enrollment);
- Information showing your tuition, if any, in a form acceptable to Pokémon (such as an invoice or tuition schedule); and
- Such other information as we may request to administer the recipient’s scholarship.
The Scholarship Administrator will issue a check to you for qualified expenses, up to the full amount of your scholarship.
Who manages the Play! Pokémon Scholarship Program, and who administers paying the scholarship?
The Program is managed by The Pokémon Company International, which may hire a third party, such as a financial institution, to assist in the administration of the Program.
By accepting the scholarship, the recipient agrees that the determination by Pokémon as to any interpretation of any aspect of this Program, or whether a recipient of the scholarship has complied with any provision of this Program, shall be final and binding.
What is the exact amount of scholarship money I will receive?
The amount that will be paid by us as your scholarship is the actual dollar amount awarded. That is, if you win a U.S. $1,000 scholarship, we will pay you or your transferee U.S. $1,000 at the point you certify that your qualified expenses at a qualified educational institution equal or exceed such sum.
Do I or my parents have to pay taxes on the scholarships?
National, state, and local tax rules vary, and the recipient and his or her parent are responsible for properly reporting the scholarship in accordance with the tax laws to which the recipient is subject. We advise you to consult with your tax adviser.
What currency do you pay my scholarship money in?
All scholarships are paid in U.S. dollars.
Where do I get more information and the forms needed to obtain my scholarship proceeds?
Copies of the Terms and Conditions of the Program, certificates, notices of transfer, and other forms can be obtained at www.pokemon.com, by contacting the Scholarship Administrator as noted below, or by clicking on the links listed below.
- The Pokémon Company International Scholarship Winner Checklist
- Play! Pokémon Scholarship Program: Terms and Conditions of the Program
- Form A: Contact Information Form and Agreement to Terms
- Form B: Fund Distribution Request Form and Agreement
- Form C: Scholarship Transfer Request Form
- Form D: Transferee Form and Agreement & FAQ
- Form W-9
How do I contact you with any questions?
Contact us at support.pokemon.com or send a letter to:
The Pokémon Company International
333 108th Ave NE Suite 1900
Bellevue, WA 98004 U.S.A.